Egremont & Cleator Moor
Welcome to the online Egremont & Cleator Moor Directory published by A2A Advertising. A2A publish a local directory that is delivered door to door in this area annually, welcome to the online version, if you would like to advertise on this site with a listing or a page or on our printed directory please call us on 015395 64486.
AN ONLINE ADVERT LIKE ABOVE IS £45+VAT
Egremont is a traditional Market Town with a long historical and industrial heritage. The Town is nestled at the foot of Uldale Valley and Dent Fell. The Towns layout today is much the same as it was envisaged by Richard de Lucy in c.1200 with its wide Main Street opening out into the Market Place.
It is home to an annual Crab Fair originating in 1267, and as a town it has over 1000 years of history. The remains of the Norman Castle, built in the 12th century, are situated at the southern end of Main Street near the Market Place. Egremont was granted its Market Charter by King Henry III.
Egremont is proud to have it own brass band. Egremont Town Band, which has been alive and well since 1904, is a traditional village band who aim to promote brass band music in the local area.
Cleator Moor is a small town in the English county of Cumbria and within the boundaries of the traditional county of Cumberland.
The town's skyline is dominated by Dent Fell and the town is located on the 190 mile Coast to Coast Walk that spans the North of England.
Cleator Moor town developed rapidly in the 19th Century, as the industrial revolution demanded more and more coal, limestone and high grade iron ore. Cleator Moor and all the villages around it - Frizington, Rowrah, Keekle, Bigrigg - were a maze of railways and mines which produced the materials for iron works in Cleator Moor and Workington. Early in the 20th Century supplies began to decline. Some of the materials mined in the area were exported from the port at Whitehaven.